Vacancy Announcement for Executive Director Position
The Ethiopian Midwives Association is a legally registered, autonomous, and not-for-profit professional association established in 1992 and re-registered under the new civil society proclamation. Ethiopian Midwives Association (EMwA) operates in all regions of Ethiopia by using and works for the quality of midwifery education and care. The primary goal of EMwA is to contribute towards the reduction of maternal and child mortality and morbidity in Ethiopia, which are the SDGs global initiatives. The mission of the association is to promote and enhance the expansion, performance and status of the midwifery profession through adopting quality and evidence based practices; adhering to the code of ethics and empowering the professionals. To reach its mission, the Association has been implementing many programs and projects over the last decades in different parts of Ethiopia under its four strategic directions: Capacity Building, Advocacy & Representation, Partnership and Resource Mobilization and Research, Monitoring & Evaluation.
Currently in order to fulfill its objectives, the association is organized into the following divisions; Capacity Building (In-Service and Pre-Service); to build the capacity of health professionals and other partners (Health and Teaching Institutions) as well as itself, Research, Monitoring & Evaluation; to generate information for the best intervention and policy recommendations, Resource Mobilization & Membership Service; to ensure organizational sustainability by mobilizing unrestricted resources and developing business ventures, and Communication and Promotion Unit; to advocate for and contribute to the quality of midwifery education and care.
To achieve the desired results, Ethiopian Midwives Association would like to hire competent candidate for the following position.
Position: Executive Director
Reports to: the President of the Association
Duty station: Addis Ababa
Salary: as per the organization’s scale
Length of Contract: one year with possibility of extension based on the performance
The Executive Director under the overall control of Executive board is responsible for the overall leadership, management, representation of the association at national, regional and international level. S/he is responsible in leading and coordinating the different units and programs in the association.
- Foster strategic alliance, partnerships and networking between Ethiopian Midwives Association, other allied health professional associations, local and international organizations and government organizations
- Strengthen external relationship and representation of the association at national, regional and international level
- Leads and manages the overall program execution including designing, implementation and coordinate deliverables in collaboration with internal and external partners across all the program focuses
- Prepare regular reports and submits in time for the executive board
- Advocate for quality of midwifery education and care in Ethiopia and the placement of senior midwives at policy level
- Compile relevant national statistics as regard to midwifery training and services, outputs and deployment of midwives as well as attrition rates
- Take part in the development of national guidelines in Ethiopia in relation to the midwifery profession
- Lead and take part at national level advocacy and policy dialogue on reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health
- Take part in the development of the strategic plan of the association, midterm review and end evaluation
- Lead the development of Data Base for all midwives and midwife students in Ethiopia
- Design grant proposals for international NGOs and government organizations
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of annual work plan and budgets
- Monitor the overall programs and projects of the organization in line with the tools and strategic plan
- Participate in the development of standards for monitoring the quality of teachers and the performance of preceptors
- Design resource mobilization strategies for the Association and communicate potential partners nationally and internationally to strengthen the midwifery profession in Ethiopia
- Lead and coordinate in the development of publications in the association
- Take part and lead the information and knowledge sharing of good practice and lessons learnt for promoting maternal health programs
- Lead and coordinate the different units in the Association
- Manage the day to day human, financial and office work
PhD or Master’s Degree in Midwifery, Reproductive Health, Public Health, Nutrition, Nursing, Health Informatics and/or other related fields.
Work experience and required skills:
- Minimum of 10/12 years of experience, with at least 6/8 years in managerial position (planning, managing, and supervising program activities in private and/or public sector enterprise, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership);
- Proven experience in leadership and ability to lead and guide with minimum support;
- Ability to build trust-based relationships with FMOH and influence work outcomes with partners, government & other stakeholders;
- Ability to solve challenging problems without extensive structural or operational support;
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced and changing environments, both internally and externally;
- Sound experience in multipronged MNCH health programs management, and monitoring;
- Experience working on MNCH services or in colleges or universities;
- Demonstrated experience of management of large-scale programs and projects;
- Proven ability to lead, coordinate, manage and evaluate program performance;
- Strong understanding of Ethiopian Health system, cultural diversity and cross-cultural responses;
- Proven experience in midwifery knowledge and skill;
- Experience in designing researchable areas, study protocol preparation, M&E, analysis, preferably in the health sector;
- Excellent writing, editorial, and communication skills, including strong presentation skills to report results to major donors, national and international partners;
- International and local NGO experience is an asset
Required skill and ability
- Skills in team work, interpersonal communication, proactive and innovative, creative with a drive for results, respectful and cooperative
- Shows integrity, commitment, willingness, and push for high standards of work quality
- Broad knowledge of maternal health issues and polices in Ethiopia
- Previous experience in project management
- Proactive, flexible and problem-solving skill
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Strong leadership skill
Interested and qualified applicants who met the MINIMUM requirements should send the following through e-mail: email@example.com or P.O.Box 1410, or in person to Ethiopian Midwives Association’s Head Office located on Equatorial Guinea Street, Haya Hulet, behind Elsa Kolo or behind Meklit Building, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- A cover letter / application letter (not more than one page)
- A CV (not more than 3 pages)
- A one page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with your application. You will provide them upon request. Make sure that you state the title of the position on the subject of your email.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
- All travel and related costs should be covered by the applicant if invited for written exam or interview.
- Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: October 18, 2017